from: DENG MACHOL, Associated Press
Published: March 18, 2023 / 04:48 PDT
Updated: March 18, 2023 / 04:48 PDT
JUBA, South Sudan (AP) — South Sudan’s National Security Service has released the remaining journalists who had been detained for weeks over a video apparently showing the country’s president urinating on himself during the event.
At least seven state broadcaster journalists were detained in January after distributing a video of President Salva Kiir inaugurating a road project.
In a statement on Friday, the South Sudan Journalists’ Union said the two remaining journalists had been released. None of the journalists were charged.
The union will “continue to engage with all stakeholders in the country to ensure journalists work in a free and safe environment,” the journalists’ organization said.
The South Sudan Broadcasting Corporation footage was broadcast in December and has been widely distributed online. It showed 71-year-old Kiir standing during the national anthem, then looking down at what appeared to be an expanding blob, before the camera panned away.
One of the released journalists, Garang John, said in a Facebook post that his health was “totally compromised” because of the 60 days of detention.
“I’m completely weak and tired, but I’ll be fine,” he said.