It is said that the man beat his fiancee while the police were at home due to domestic disturbances.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (WMC) – Memphis police have charged a man with killing his son-in-law, who police say beat him while officers were at their home on a domestic disturbance call.

Police say at 7:56 p.m. Wednesday night, officers responded to a domestic dispute at a home on Hornsby Drive, Whitehaven. Police say 63-year-old Norris Lyles lived there with his 55-year-old fiancee.

When officers arrived at the scene, they heard screaming coming from both the yard and inside the home, according to the arrest affidavit. Officers knocked on the front door several times and heard the woman screaming, “Help! He has a gun! Close the door!” according to police.

An officer tried to kick in the front door, but saw a large dog through the window and stopped. The officers continued to knock and saw Lyles through the window walking into the hallway.

Police say the victim continued to yell, “He’s got a gun!” That was the last time officers reported hearing from the victim.

The officers continued to knock on the door and Lyles yelled “What!” before the officers announced themselves at the gate.

Police say Lyles answered the door wearing a white T-shirt covered in blood. When officers ordered him on the ground, Lyles replied, “Get on the ground!” and reached for the gun in his belt.

Officers then placed a stun gun on Lyles and were able to detain him.

Police say Lyles’ fiancee was found lying on the ground in the backyard with multiple head injuries. According to the police, he was taken to the hospital in critical condition, where he died of his injuries at 20:53.

Investigators executed a search warrant at the home and seized a floor lamp believed to be the murder weapon. Police say the lamp had a heavy base and was covered in blood.

Lyles is charged with second-degree murder and first-degree assault.

Records show an extensive criminal history, including an attempted murder charge dating back to 1979.

Lyles is being held on $50,000 bail and is scheduled to appear in court on Tuesday.

Click here to subscribe to our newsletter!

Click here Report a spelling or grammar mistake. Please include a title.

The Latest

To Top