LOCAL NEWS

“I was like, ‘Get out, get out!’ I didn’t tell them why”: the owner of the house destroyed by the explosion tells about the incident

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (WAFF) – “That’s…that’s life. Life happens.”

Amanda Garcia’s home was destroyed by an explosion Saturday afternoon. The incident happened just before 2 p.m. after an independent contractor hit a gas line while working in the area.

He had a smile on his face during the interview, but not because he lost his home. Rather, it’s because everyone in his family of seven made it through virtually unscathed.

“We smelled a strong odor. After that, when one of my sisters went out – she was going to the park, they told her that they had hit the pipe. And then she grabbed me and I kicked everyone out,” Amanda said.

Smelling gas reaching the house, Amanda ran around the house and called everyone to get out before it was too late.

He was the last one to leave.

“I was so upset with them that I was like, ‘Get in, get out!’ I’m back.”

Amanda says she called Huntsville Utilities to report the gas leak. But before the utility worker could do anything, something exploded and the house went up in flames. Amanda says she was only 25 feet away from the explosion in her backyard.

“I am grateful that everyone is well. I know the house doesn’t look good, but it’s material things, and I’m so thankful that everyone is okay.”

Amanda and her family will be assisted by the American Red Cross.

Meanwhile, the Madison County Fire Marshal is leading the investigation. In this case, we don’t know if that independent contractor could be held liable for the damage to Amanda’s home.

Click here to subscribe on YouTube: Watch the latest WAFF 48 news, sports and weather on our YouTube channel!

The Latest

To Top