US

Trudeau: A warplane shot down an object over northern Canada

OTTAWA (AP) – Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Saturday that he ordered a U.S. warplane to shoot down an unidentified object flying high over northern Canada, acting a day after U.S. jets took similar action over Alaska.

Shortly before Trudeau’s tweet, the North American Aerospace Defense Command said it had detected an object flying at a high altitude over Canada. NORAD did not provide any additional information, including when the object was first spotted or what it was.

A spokesman, Major Olivier Gallant, said both Canadian and American warplanes operating as part of NORAD were deployed.

On Twitter, Trudeau then announced: “I have ordered the removal of an unidentified object that violated Canadian airspace. @NORADCommand downed object over Yukon. Canadian and American planes were shot down, and an American F-22 successfully fired at the facility.”

The object is the third known to have violated North American airspace in the past two weeks.

In another tweet, Trudeau said: “I spoke with President Biden this afternoon. Canadian forces will now recover and analyze the wreckage of the facility. Thank you NORAD for keeping North America safe.”

A suspected Chinese spy balloon spent nearly a week flying through Canada and US airspace before it was shot down by US warplanes near South Carolina last week.

The U.S. military shot down a second object in Alaskan airspace on Friday, although authorities did not provide details on what it was.

According to the US Northern Command, recovery operations continued Saturday near Deadhorse, Alaska, and off South Carolina.

In a statement, Northern Command said there were no new details about what the object was that was shot down by a US fighter jet over Alaska. It said the Alaska Command and the Alaska National Guard, along with the FBI and local law enforcement, were conducting a search and recovery operation.

“Arctic weather conditions, including wind chill, snow and limited daylight, are a factor in this operation, and personnel will adjust recovery operations to maintain safety,” the statement said. “Recovery activities are taking place on the sea ice.”

It added that the Navy continued search and recovery activities on the ocean floor off South Carolina, and that the Coast Guard was providing security. Additional remains were recovered Friday, and additional operations will continue as weather permits, the statement said.

This is a developing story.

The Latest

To Top