The man burned garbage and tires in a fireplace

LINCOLN, Neb. (COLOGNE) – Lincoln Fire and Rescue evacuated an apartment building near downtown on Tuesday after a resident burned trash in his fireplace.

Crews were dispatched to an apartment complex near 8th and G streets around 11:25 a.m. Tuesday, according to firefighters.

LFR said crews found smoke in the building as well as fire coming from one of the chimneys.

Public Information Officer Nancy Crist said firefighters had difficulty entering the residence where the smoke was coming from because the resident refused to let firefighters inside.

According to Chris, LPD officers were called to help firefighters enter the home and make sure no one was in danger.

Firefighters reported finding a fire in a fireplace where a resident was burning trash, plastics, and tires. Firefighters evacuated the building and were able to extinguish the fire, Crist said.

Christ said the city of Lincoln has an ordinance that only allows sawn wood to be burned in fireplaces.

The health department was called for help.

The Latest

To Top