from: MARK ANDERSON, Associated Press
Published: February 12, 2023 / 10:04 PM PST
Updated: February 12, 2023 / 11:27 PM PST
LAS VEGAS (AP) – Quarterback Derek Carr rejected a trade offer from the Las Vegas Raiders to the New Orleans Saints, a person familiar with the decision said Sunday.
The person spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to comment publicly.
The person said Carr would not take a pay cut to help finalize the deal, and the Saints were the only team interested in a trade with the Raiders. Carr has a no-trade clause in his contract.
Given those circumstances and the Wednesday deadline for the Raiders to trade or release Carr, it appears Las Vegas will cut the veteran quarterback. If the Raiders keep him on their roster, they will owe him $40.4 million in guaranteed money over the next two years.
He indicated on Feb. 2 that being released and hitting the free agent market was his preferred path, saying he would not waive his no-trade clause then.
Carr visited the New Orleans Saints last week, according to three sources with knowledge of the trip.
Carr, 31, played nine seasons with the Raiders and holds the club records for passing yards (35,222) and touchdowns (217), but no playoff wins. The Raiders benched him with two games left this season, partly because Carr was struggling and partly because they would owe him guaranteed money if he got hurt.
AP NFL: https://apnews.com/hub/nfl and https://twitter.com/AP_NFL