RALEIGH, NC — Five people were killed and two were seriously injured on Thursday evening mass shooting in Raleigh.
The Raleigh Police Department announced Friday morning that the following five people were killed in the shooting:
- Nicole Connors, 52
- Susan Karnatz, 49
- Mary Marshall, 35
- Gabriel Torres, 29
- James Thompson, 16
These two others were injured and remain at WakeMed:
- Marcille Gardner, 59
- 15-year-old shooting suspect
Two of the victims were police officers.
Gabriel Torres was an off-duty officer who had previously served as a Marine. He was married and had a small daughter. He was on his way to work when he was killed.
“This is an extremely, extremely painful event for our officers and myself,” RPD Chief Estella Patterson said. “I was immediately taken aback, shocked by what happened.”
Casey Joseph Clark, 33, was handling the K-9 who was injured in the shooting but has since been released from the hospital.
The 16-year-old victim, James Thompson, was a student at Knightdale High School.
“This is an incredibly difficult time for our school community, as well as the greater Raleigh community,” Principal Keith Richardson he wrote in a statement to his parents. He went on to say that counselors and the district’s crisis team will be available on campus next week to support anyone who needs help.
Susan Karnatz was married and had three sons aged 10, 13 and 14. She was also an avid runner.
Mary Marshall was engaged to be married. She is also just 10 days away from her 35th birthday.
Her fiance, Robert Steele, said she was killed while walking their dog.
“She was really nice, always nice. Whenever we got packages when we weren’t home, she’d put them in our house and leave a note on the door. Go upstairs, you know?” neighbor Sherron McDonald said of Marshall.
Nicole Connors’ husband said ABC11 that he found his wife and his dog Sammy murdered in the street. A neighbor who was lying on the ground next to them was injured.
ABC11 crews are gathering more details about all the victims and will continue to update this article and share their stories during our evening newscasts.
“There are several families in our community who are waking up this morning without their loved ones,” said Raleigh Mayor Mary-Ann Baldwin. “No one can imagine what they all go through.”
Investigators said the 15-year-old suspect in the shooting is male.
Investigators said he started shooting around 5 p.m. Thursday near the Neuse River Greenway in the Hedingham neighborhood near Osprey Cove Drive and Bay Harbor Drive.
The terror of the active shooter continued for several hours, and police brought down a two-mile scene to contain the situation.
Just after 9:30 p.m., the 15-year-old was taken into custody at Old Milburnie Road and McConnel Oliver Drive. He had life-threatening injuries when he was brought in — as of Friday morning, investigators said he was in critical condition at WakeMed.
Copyright © 2022 WTVD-TV. All rights reserved.