Before diving into today’s college football matchups and the latest college football top 25 rankings, it’s important to know where the top teams have landed in the college rankings.
Placement for college football
Related: Heisman Watch 2022
What does NCAA mean?
NCAA stands for National Collegiate Athletic Association. Headquartered in Indianapolis, the NCAA regulates college athletics for more than 1,000 colleges across the United States and Canada.
The CNAA was founded in 1906 and was originally called the Intercollegiate Athletic Association of the United States (IAAUS. It changed its name to the NCAA in 1910. Mark Emmert currently serves as the president of the NCAA, but a search is underway for his replacement.
Who won the college football national championship last season?
The Georgia Bulldogs defeated the Alabama Crimson Tide 33-18 in the 2021 CFP National Championship Game.
How much college football is played in a season?
College football teams play approximately 11-12 games each season, with the number varying depending on bowl and conference championship games. The college football season lasts about 13 weeks for the FBS regular season. With more than 100 FBS programs, more than 1,000 games will be played on the 2022 college football schedule.
Our varsity football standings will be updated after each week of play.
Related: Highest Paid College Football Coaches 2022
How many college football teams are there?
There are 130 college football teams in the United States that are represented in the FBS division. There are 125 FCS football teams. Here’s a quick look at the number of college football teams in 2022.
- NCAA Division 1 – Football Bowl Subdivision – 130 teams
- NCAA Division 1 – Football Championship Subdivision – 125 teams
- How many Division 2 football teams are there 169 teams
- How many Division 3 football teams are there – 240 teams
How many college football conferences are there?
There are 10 conferences in the school football rankings for 2022. However, the college football realignment, with The Big 10 absorbing USC and UCLA and the SEC taking over Texas and Oklahoma, means the number of Power 5 conferences could shrink by 2025. Permanently changing the college landscape and standings.
What are Power 5 conferences?
Here is a breakdown of the teams in each Power 5 conference for the 2022 college football season. Note that this will change in 2023 and 2024.
- Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC)
- Boston College
- Florida State
- Georgia Tech
- Miami (FL)
- North Carolina
- NC State
- Virginia Tech
- Wake Forest
- Big Ten Conference
- Michigan State
- Ohio State
- Penn State
- Big 12 Conference
- Iowa State
- Kansas State
- Oklahoma State
- Texas Tech
- West Virginia
- Pac-12 Conference
- Arizona State
- Oregon State
- Washington State
- Southeastern Conference (SEC)
- Ole Miss
- Mississippi State
- South Carolina
- Texas A&M
- Notre Dame is not a member of the ACC. However, the Fighting Irish have an agreement to put five ACC schools on their schedule this season.
How does overtime work at the university?
If the game is tied after four quarters of play, NCAA rules say the two teams must play overtime until a winner is decided. Here are college football’s latest overtime rules.
- The winner of the coin toss determines whether to play offense or defense or which side of the field to defend. Both teams will get at least one possession.
- The team that loses the coin toss makes a secondary decision, often which side of the field to use.
- A team starts with the ball on its own 25-yard line, unless changed by a penalty, and then as one possession to score.
- After that run, the opposing team has the ball and will have a chance to tie or win. If there is a tie after the first overtime, the second OT is played with a turnover of possession.
- In the second overtime, teams that score a touchdown must attempt a two-point conversion after scoring a touchdown.
- If the score is tied after double overtime, the game continues into a third overtime with each team trying to score two points until a winner is decided.