The Loudoun County School Board in Northern Virginia is considering changing the names of 10 of its schools because of Confederate or segregationist ties.
The Black History Committee presented a total of 10 schools to the committee and proposed renaming two of them:
- Frances Hazel Reid Primary School
- Mercer Middle School
The committee said eight more needed further study:
- Ball’s Bluff Elementary School
- Belmont Ridge High School
- Belmont Station Elementary School
- Elementary school Emerik
- Hutchinson Farm Primary School
- Moorefield Station Primary School
- Seldens Landing Elementary School
- Sully Elementary School
Those names have “direct connections to human enslavement, the Daughters of the Confederacy, the Lost Cause and the American Colonial Society,” the committee said.